David is a Life Member of the Australian Coal Preparation Society and a founding Director of the National Board. His service is listed below:
- 8 years on the Committee – 1984-85 until 1991-92
- 2 years as Chairman – 1989-90 to 1990-91
- 4 years as Secretary – 1984-85 to 1987-88
- 4 years on the Committee – 1989 to 1991-92
- 1 years as Chairman – 1990-91
- 2 Local Organising Committees.
- Lecturer at Introductory and Advanced Coal Preparation Courses
- Editing of lecture notes
David worked for a number of companies notably Parbury Henty Mining, Bulk Materials Coal Handling (BMCH) and Pacific Coal Technology (PCT).