John was a Life Member and a founding Director of the Australian Coal Preparation Society. He was one of the longest serving committee members of the Queensland Society/Branch and the National Board. His service is listed below:
- 21 years on the Committee – 1979-80 until 1999-2000
- 2 years as Chairman – 1983-84 – 1984-85
- 1 year as Vice-Chairman – 1981-82
- 7 years as Treasurer – 1986-1987 – 1992-1993.
- Founding member
- 11 years on the Committee – 1989 until 1998-99
- 7 years as Treasurer – 1992-1993 – 1998-1999.
- 6 Local Organising Committees 1981-98, including
- Treasurer for XXIII International Coal Preparation Congress, Brisbane 1998.
- Coal quality and utilisation to the Queensland Advanced/Modern Course for many years.
He was awarded a Life Membership of the Society. A more detailed biography is listed under Life Members on the ACPS website (www.acps.com.au).
In 2007 John was awarded the Medal (OAM) of the Order of Australia in the General Division for service to the development of the coal industry, particularly through research and education activities, and to the community.
John passed away on 2 January 2007.